Monday 4 March 2013

BEAUTY FOR THE PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED

I was looking to write an entire piece about beauty for - and here you have to forgive me as I'm bound to put my un-PC foot in it - the physically challenged.

It came to my attention that the gorgeous brand L'Occitane had Braille on the outside of all their boxes and I thought this was brilliant.



The top image is one they very kindly took for me - it's not something they have standard product shots of (although it is on every box) as they don't do it for show and their photos are about product, rather than packaging.  This is clearly not an EU directive, otherwise all brands would do it, it's just something they do - I'll find out why.

Bioderma is the other brand that has Braille on the box so top marks to them.  I'll post on them when I get images.

I'm still on the search for easy to open bottles etc. to help people with one hand, tremors or muscle wastage but I think we'll be looking for a long time.  Likewise, I can't find a brand that has an audio list of their ingredients and instructions.

I don't think we can draw any conclusions from this as there are many product categories from washing powder to breakfast cereal that don't cater for the needs of the physically challenged.  I do think it's interesting that cosmetic companies enter into Breast Cancer Month with products (from which they donate funds but still make a profit), but only these two in my search actually make a real effort to engage physical challenges as a core value of their range, rather than as a "pink product" add-on.

It has been suggested to me (by a non-beauty professional) that perhaps physical disability is not something the beauty industry embraces, in the same way mainstream fashion doesn't.  I don't think this is true, I think it's much more about economics.  However, as it seems we're all going to get type 2 diabetes from the incredible rate of obesity engulfing the country, perhaps the potential symptons of this disease might become much more mainstream, which will focus the collective beauty industry mind.

I could make suggestions for physically challenged beauty aficionados but I think they'll sound patronising - facial wipes are easier than cleanser bottles; pump action bottles are easier than twist or flip tops; lash extensions will save mascara disasters etc.  I'm sure they know this already through years of experience. 

I've contacted CEW (beauty industry trade body) the RNIB, the MS Society and Radio 4's In Touch programme to see if I've missed anything.  I'll keep you posted.





No comments:

Post a Comment