Thursday 11 October 2012

Teeth Whitening - THE RESULTS!


OK, I've got "The Stuff" and am about to embark on my teeth whitening but let's have a look at professional treatments.

There are two key professional whitening treatments on the market; in-surgery treatment with a light which is carried out by a dentist giving instant results and home whitening with custom made trays for your teeth (much like gum guards but thinner) and whitening gel which takes up to a fortnight. Arvin favours the trays saying, “In-surgery whitening with the light is great if you want your teeth to look significantly whiter immediately, but the agent used on the teeth is much more concentrated than the product we give patients to use in the trays.  The light treatment can draw water out of the teeth as well as stains.  Then, as the teeth rehydrate, the new white colour can sometimes fade very quickly.  For my patients, this method is too aggressive and can cause long-term sensitivity which is why at Vitality we favour a slower and more gentle process for great, long-lasting results.”

We've already done the moulds and on the first night I’m asked to use a desensitizing gel to ensure that my teeth are comfortable during the whitening process.  I suspect this is also a dummy run to see how I get on with the trays.  I fill, put in my mouth and go to bed.  They are very well made and a snug fit. Night 2, I try the 16% mix, which is mid-strength.  The active ingredient is Carbamide Peroxide, a precursor to Hydrogen Peroxide, which makes the result and experience better for the patient.  

Grim look at my teeth before we started
My teeth are slightly sensitive when I wake up so Night 3 I move back to the 10% mix that is more comfortable.  However, by Night 5 I’m back up to the mid-strength and by Night 6 everyone in my family can see the difference.  By Night 10, the difference is unbelievably good.  My teeth tingle slightly (but nothing a paracetamol can’t take the edge off) and the sensitivity goes within a day of finishing the course. 

Vitality’s service is outstanding.  During the 10 days of treatment I’m seen a total of three times to check that it’s all going well and to see how I’m doing.  Nothing is too much trouble and I’m not surprised that Vitality has never had anyone fail to get a result.

Arvin and I talk about who has teeth whitening these days and I’m told that while it’s people of all ages, the over 55’s are exceptionally keen to have this procedure.  We also discuss over-the-counter home whitening kits and Arvin says “If I’m asking you to make an investment in professional whitening, under my supervision and with my experience how can products for £30 possibly produce the same results?”  Point well made. “The whitening products that we provide at Vitality cannot be sold to the general public but are only available on prescription from dental professionals.”
Grim look at teeth after whitening
Actual shade change in a lovely easy-to-see-and-less-scary way

Post-treatment, the reaction is amazing.  Friends want to know what new cream I’m using, have I changed my hair or have I lost weight, as they simply must know.  Me? 
I just smile.

TOOTH WHITENING OFFER
For patients interested in finding out more visit www.vitality-dental.com

Whitening Wednesdays – All new Vitality patients having tooth whitening on Wednesdays can get it for just £200 – that’s Half Price!   Offer ends 31st December 2012.  Free no obligation consultation for new patients.

There are plenty of home teeth whitening options; I asked Dr Arvin Mirzadeh to give me his opinion about which are worth the money.

Pearl Drops Beauty Sleep Overnight Serum
Designed to work overnight this serum contains a liquid calcium technology to help strengthen tooth enamel whilst the vitamin E nourishes and protects your mouth for healthy gums.  Arvin said “The ingredient list includes pearl powder and may help remove some surface stains, possibly creating a glaze on the surface of the teeth.  I’ve no reason to think this is the best way to whiten teeth.”
Price:  £3.49
Stockist:  www.boots.com



Oral-B 3D White Toothpaste
New on the UK market, Oral B has recently introduced quite a few new toothpastes onto the market to meet the growing demand of whitening.  Arvin said, “This is an interesting range.   The toothpaste itself has no Hydrogen Peroxide in it and no actual whitening ingredient, but rather works as an extrinsic abrasive and anti staining agent.”
Price:  £3.49
Stockist:  www.boots.com


Crest 3D Whitestrips Professional Effects 
An adhesive strip containing Hydrogen Peroxide, the active ingredient in whitening.  Arvin said, “These are very popular in the USA and there are lots of UK websites that import them.  These do work as they have Hydrogen Peroxide in them, but the disadvantage is that it’s on an adhesive strip that is not bespoke, not custom made and is therefore likely to give patchy results.  If you accidentally get the strip on your gums it could make them quite sore temporarily.”
Price:  £44.99
Stockist:  www.crestwhitestrips.co.uk
Rapid White Blue Light Tooth Whitening System
Rapid White Blue Light Tooth Whitening System claims to whiten teeth up to 5 shades whiter with 2 hours of blue light treatment.  Arvin said, “Professional tooth whitening with a light does work, but this simply isn’t anything close to a professional tool.  I would also be worried about the acidity of some of the ingredients which could damage tooth enamel.”
Price:  £30.00
Stockist:  www.boots.com



Arvin’s Conclusion
“For everyday whitening use a standard whitening toothpaste as the abrasives and whitening agents will help to lift some surface stains.  However, everyone should take advice from their dentist before embarking on any whitening programme to find out what is best for them.”




No comments:

Post a Comment